Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thursday, January 29

I got up and went for a bit of a longer ride today.  I attempted to go to the Nature Conservancy but it was closed so I headed to Southport on the south shore of Lake Tohopekaliga.  I need to look up that spelling every time.  Such a pretty lake:





I've never taken the airboat ride on the lake but I'll bet it's fun:



I headed into Kissimmee which has really seen quite a bit of development.  There's a little downtown area with shops and cafes.  I approve:



Check out this cool mural on the side of a hardware store:



I also liked the sign:



This is the view from the north shore of Lake Toho.  There's a really pretty lakefront park in Kissimmee:





This bird be chillin'



Me in Kissimmee:



This is a monument to the Bataan Death March which was a particularly horrible incident in WWII that you can read more about here.  I found the monument emotional and well done.  I like:



This building, the City Center Downtown, seems to be the source of all the bustling in Kissimmee.  They've built a mid rise mixed use building right in the middle of downtown and it seems to have revitalized the whole area.  I think it's a great idea and I hope it does well.  You can read more about it here.





The new development is right by the Kissimmee Amtrak station:



I saw this sculpture downtown.  I really want to like it but I just don't.  I don't find it aesthetically pleasing and I don't find it evocative.  At $8k I do find it overpriced.  No likey!







Then I went to the comic book store in Kissimme which is HUGE.  So much bigger than the ones in San Francisco.  They had a bunch of people playing war games on tables in the back of the store.  Sadly, they were cooler than me. 

This is the gorgeous Oceola County Courthouse which I love.  It's a rare surviving piece of old Florida:



Here's another survivor.  It's a late 19thc (I think) farmhouse which is now lawyer's offices:



I headed home and got cleaned up.  Fun day.

Bike Mileage:
Today                                               46.2
Week to date                                  108.3
Month to date                                 955.8
Year to date                                    955.8
To Goal                                        9,044.2
Over (Under) plan                           161.3

YTD Mileage vs Last Year              408.4
Rolling Year                                11,148.1
Since Inception 10/1/07              14,233.5

No comments:

Post a Comment