Saturday, October 5, 2013

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Saturday I got up early and started cooking.  We were having a birthday party for Mr. Chris and I had a lot of work to do to get that moving.  I was already panicked at 6am because I hadn't done much thinking about the menu and didn't really have any good ideas.  Luckily, Mr. Poe had lots of good ideas so I focused on the baking and he did the rest.  I made an eight layer genoise filled with and interesting orange cream.  The cream was a miracle of science.  It was thickened with five separate things:  gelatin, corn starch, flour, egg yolk and butter.  All of these were so the citrus juice wouldn't have to be cooked and reduced so there was a fresh citrus as opposed to a cooked citrus taste.  Sadly, I didn't wait long enough for everything to set up so the cake started collapsing when I assembled it.  But I didn't panic.  I wrapped the whole thing is wax paper and then made a mold for it and, although it wasn't the prettiest pastry I'd ever cranked out, it had eight layers and was pretty fabulous when it came to eating it.  Here's the dessert tray laid out:


Sadly, I missed my friend Elliott's birthday party as that was on the same day.  But I made him a cake:


Dinner went well.  Mr. Poe made pork and stuffing and I made a fancy french sauce to go with it.  We all got liquored up and I was a little hung over the next day.  Fun party!

No comments:

Post a Comment